Corazonas Cholesterol Lowering Challenge
Just in time for September’s National Cholesterol Education Month, Corazonas Foods Inc., creators of great-tasting, heart-healthy snack foods, is debuting Corazonas Heart-Healthy Whole Grain Tortilla Chips. Featuring the same cholesterol-lowering benefits as its Original Tortilla Chip and Potato Chip lines, these Whole Grain Tortilla Chips deliver the added benefit of 18 grams of whole grains, three grams of fiber and are gluten free.
Featuring the Whole Grains Council seal, these light and crunchy chips, which also make a perfect Fall tailgating snack, feature two satisfying, heart-healthy flavors – Lightly Salted and Squeeze of Lime. Corazonas Heart-Healthy Whole Grain Tortilla Chips will retail for $3.29 for a seven-ounce bag.
Recognized by O: The Oprah Magazine, Prevention, Health and “Good Morning America,” Corazonas Heart-Healthy Tortilla and Potato Chips are the first and only snack chips clinically proven to help reduce low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, a.k.a. “bad cholesterol,” by up to 15 percent, thanks to the company’s patented technology of infusing the chips with plant sterols during the cooking process. Additionally, Corazonas Heart-Healthy Potato Chips contain 40 percent less fat than regular potato chips and Corazonas Heart-Healthy Original Tortilla Chips feature visible whole oats for added fiber, another cholesterol-lowering attribute.
CHIP AWAY AT YOUR CHOLESTEROL™: THE CORAZONAS CHALLENGE
Starting in September, Corazonas Foods is launching the Corazonas Challenge – encouraging Americans to “chip away” at their cholesterol by eating a one-ounce serving of Corazonas chips two times per day with meals for four weeks. If consumers aren’t satisfied with their results, Corazonas will buy their chips back! In addition, the Corazonas Challenge web site will feature blogs from Corazonas employees and featured fans who are taking the challenge together and sharing their success, as well as nutrition advice and recipes from Corazonas’ resident nutritionist. Visit www.corazonaschallenge.com for full details, rules and restrictions of the offer.
“Whether you’ve been diagnosed with high cholesterol or you are just trying to keep your cholesterol levels balanced, it doesn’t mean you have to resort to bland, non-flavorful food,” advises Julie Upton, a nationally renowned registered dietitian. “There are a variety of heart-healthy products that can be ‘snuck into’ anyone’s diet that will lower LDL cholesterol while also satisfying the most finicky taste buds.”
Heart-healthy tips from Ms. Upton include:
- Eat plant-sterol enriched foods. Cholesterol-lowering plant sterols are available in a variety of grocery market staples, be it Corazonas Heart-Healthy Chips, orange juice or buttery spreads.
- Sneak fiber- and antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables into meals. Top Corazonas tortilla chips with black beans, low-fat or nonfat cheese and pico de gallo for heart-healthy nachos (a great tailgating snack!). Add chopped fresh tomatoes into guacamole for added lycopene, a heart-friendly antioxidant. Toss yogurt, cereal, and oatmeal with your favorite dried or fresh fruits for a boost of fiber.
- Substitute the whole grain varieties of your favorite carbohydrates. Enjoy whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole grain bread and even whole wheat pizza dough.
- Limit saturated fat. It should account for no more than seven percent of your daily total calories. Substitute lean ground turkey or chicken for beef in burgers and tacos. Eat more omega-3 rich fish and less red meat.
- Focus on monounsaturated oils. Olive oil is great for salads and finishing off foods, while canola is ideal for cooking and baking. Both are excellent sources of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats.
Introduced in January 2008, Corazonas Heart-Healthy Potato Chips feature five world-inspired flavors – Mediterranean Garlic & Herb, Italiano Four Cheese, Pacific Rim BBQ, Spicy Rio Habanero and Slightly Salted. The all-natural potato chips have no trans fat and retail for approximately $3.29 for a six-ounce package. Corazonas Original Heart-Healthy Tortilla Chips were first in this popular snack lineup and are sold in four zesty flavors: Salsa Picante, Margarita Lime, Baja Bean Dip and Original. They retail for $3.29 for a seven-ounce bag.
Visit www.corazonas.com for delicious heart-healthy recipes and more information about managing your heart health.
About Corazonas Foods
Inspired by the Spanish word for heart – corazón – Corazonas Foods was founded by a team of passionate entrepreneurs whose mission is to provide heart-healthy, all-natural alternatives to Americans’ favorite snacks without sacrificing taste, texture or fun – so you can Snack To Your Heart’s Content®! Corazonas Heart-Healthy snacks are infused with plant sterols and are the first and only snack chips clinically proven to lower cholesterol. In addition to their cholesterol-lowering benefits, the tortilla chips have visible whole oats and are a good source of fiber, while the potato chips contain 40 percent less fat than regular potato chips.
Corazonas Heart-Healthy Chips can be found nationwide at Safeway and Kroger-owned stores. Additionally, Corazonas are available at select retailers such as Albertsons, Jewel, Hy-Vee, Price Chopper, Market Basket, Raley’s, Rite Aid and select Costco and Sam’s Club Divisions. Corazonas
also are available online at Amazon.com and www.corazonas.com.