Kick Start Your Energy
Stress is a great energy depleter. It runs down our physical and emotional energy reserves, making us more vulnerable to viral and bacterial ailments, other illnesses and anxiety, irritability and depression.
Stress prevention and relief which includes dietary and lifestyle measures is therefore vital to our overall wellbeing. But there are also a number of mental techniques that can help boost and protect our energy levels. They are simple, fun to learn and use and also work well together.
Try these exercises whenever you are feeling physically and emotionally weary or when you are dealing with another person who you feel is draining your energy. It’s also a good idea to do the exercises a couple of times a day if you’re working with, or are in close proximity to electronic equipment such as computers.
- Stand in relaxed, upright position with your feet slightly apart and positioned directly in line with your shoulders. Keep your shoulders back and look straight ahead.
- Close your eyes, take three deep breaths and, as you exhale, try and imagine any tension draining out of your body.
- Breathing normally and keeping your eyes closed, imagine in your mind’s eye a silvery-white light pouring down on to the top of your head and encasing your entire body. You may feel a warm or tingly glow round you, but if you can’t, don’t worry, just trust that it is there 🙂
Standing Like A Tree
- Stand in a relaxed, upright position and place the outside edge of your right thumb over your navel with your hand covering your abdomen.
- Place your other hand lightly over your right with your left thumb just below your right. Your hands will now covering what, in Eastern term, is known as the “sea of Chi” or reservoir of energy, located 3cm below your navel and 1/3 of the way into your body.
- Remain in this position, with your eyes open and breathing normally for 2 minutes. Then let your arms gently fall back to your sides.
- Repeat the exercise twice a day, gradually increasing the time you stand in this position to 5 minutes.
- Lie flat on your back with your head in line with your spine and your feet slightly apart, toes pointing towards the ceiling. Center yourself and tune in to your internal energy by placing your hands over the Sea of Chi.
- Keeping your hands loosely folded over your abdomen, pull your toes towards you, keeping your heels on the bed. This is believed to stimulate the flow of energy. Hold for a couple of minutes, or as long as you are able, relax and then repeat the exercise three to four times.
- Keep your hands over your abdomen and bend your knees, drawing your feet towards your body, keeping them flat on the bed. This is said to increase energy flow. Hold for a few minutes.
- Keeping your knees bent and elbows on the bed, imagine that you are holding a ball of energy above your abdomen. Feel its vibration, warmth and power. Do this for a few minutes, or as long as you are able.
- Keeping your knees bent, raise your toes towards you. lift your elbows off the bed and imagine you are holding the ball of energy just above your abdomen. Again, do this for as long as you are able.
- Finish by lowering your knees, relaxing your feet and returning your hands to the folded position above the Sea of Chi.
Rotating Your Internal Energy Ball
- Stand ad before, with your arms hanging loosely by your side. Turn your hands inwards, with the palms facing upwards and draw towards one another until your fingertips are almost touching. Imagine a ball of energy, growing larger and larger, between your hands and your lower abdomen.
- Using your hands, imagine that you are rotating this energy ball in front of you and that it is penetrating and turning within your abdomen. Do this for a few minutes. Then repeat the process, rotating the ball in the other direction.
- Bring your hands back to the original position, with your palms turned up and your fingertips almost touching. Imagine the ball of energy becoming smaller and smaller until it is a tiny dot of light deep inside your abdomen. When you have finished, shake your hands as if they have been in water, to remove any ‘bad energy’.