10 Tips For A Perfect Party
By David Rocco
Organizing a family get-together or rounding up close friends for dinner can be daunting, especially when you don’t have the luxury of time to spend going over every detail. Here are 10 party tips that will make planning for any party a breeze.
1. Give out the invitations early.
2. Visualize the type of evening you want with your guests. Who will be there, what you want to eat and serve etc. Once you can see it, plan the menu a week in advance and slowly prep things that can be hold.
3. Get the table ready the night before. When the little things are done, you can have fun in the kitchen without having to worry about the small details. Have all your ingredients washed, chopped and ready to go before you start cooking. You’ll be amazed at how much time you save.
4. If you have kids, get them to help you out by prepping some of the more time consuming chores like chopping onions, parsley and peeling the potatoes. Time in the kitchen can be fun for them.
5. Certain desserts hold up really well in the freezer so make one that can keep well. This way, you won’t feel overwhelmed with preparing so many dishes.
6. Get to know your butcher or fishmonger well in advance and let them know what you’ll need for the meal. When the day comes, simply pick up your order without having to queue.
7. Pace yourself. Know how long it takes you to prepare the ingredients and each dish and work backwards. Always give a little buffer before guests arrive so you have time to freshen up.
8. People want to help, especially during the holiday season. Pre-select which one of your guests may be able to help out when they arrive, even if it simply means pouring out the drinks.
9. Don’t panic. If something goes wrong, remember that your guests are not there for ‘the perfect meal’. Also have a plan of what will be served pre-dinner so if you’re delayed, you can buy time with light snacks.
10. It it’s not fun for the host it shows. So make dishes you like to eat and cook and have fun!