18 Ways To Save Water And Energy
1. Time your shower. Keep it under 5 minutes.
2. Make it a habit not to leave the tap water running while you brush your teeth, wash your hands or even shaving.
3. Don’t run the hose while washing your car. Use a bucket of water and a quick hose rinse at the end.
4. Reduce the quantity of water flushed by your toilet.
5. Wash vegetables and fruits in a bowl rather than under a running tap. Use the leftover water for watering house plants.
6. Always check that you have turned the faucets off tightly after each use.
7. Check for leaks and get them fixed immediately. Dripping taps can waste up to 4 litres of water a day.
8. Turn the water off while you shampoo and condition your hair.
9. When buying new appliances, look for efficient appliances that use as little water and energy as possible.
10. Sweep down the driveway to clean it instead of hosing it down.
11. During the day, make full use of natural lighting. Open curtains and shades.
12. Remember to clean or replace air filters, as clogged ones cause the units to run longer, hence using more energy.
13. When cooking, put a lid on the saucepan or pot so the contents heat quicker and you use less energy.
14. Opt for energy saving bulbs instead of ordinary ones.
15. Smaller is better. Cooking with small appliances use less energy. For example, think toaster oven over electric oven.
16. Run your washing machine on a full load. It saves more water and energy than running two half loads.
17. Switch off appliances such as TVs, stereos and computers when not in use, instead of leaving them on standby.
18. Avoid leaving the refrigerator door open. Each minute the door is open, it takes three minutes of energy to cool down again.